Damen Shipyards Group is established in 1927 and is a 100% Dutch family owned international group of companies which operates 34 shipbuilding and repair yards, employing 10,000 people worldwide from a divisional structure with 7 divisions and a holding. Damen has delivered more than 6,000 vessels in more than 100 countries and delivers some 200 vessels annually to customers worldwide. Damen designs and builds innovative vessels and based on its unique, standardized ship-design concept Damen is able to guarantee consistent quality supported by a worldwide network of sales and services. Annual production value amounts to approximately EUR 2bln.
Damen’s focus on standardization, modular construction and maintaining vessels in stock leads to short delivery times, low ‘total cost of ownership’, high resale values and reliable performance. Furthermore, Damen vessels are based on thorough R&D and proven technology.
Damen offers a wide range of products, including tugs, workboats, naval and patrol vessels, high speed craft, cargo vessels, dredgers, vessels for the offshore industry, ferries, pontoons and superyachts.
For nearly all vessel types of Damen offers a broad range of services, including maintenance, spare parts delivery, training and the transfer of (shipbuilding) know-how. Damen also offers a variety of marine components, such as nozzles, rudders, anchors, anchor chains and steel works.
The purpose of Group Sustainability is to provide leadership and direction to the Damen organization to create, implement and manage a sustainability strategy that meets the organization's objective to become the most Sustainable Shipbuilder in the World.
The Group Director Sustainability will be responsible for developing plans and policies to ensure the organization delivers on its sustainability ambitions and complies with all relevant sustainability regulations and developing and managing sustainability projects. This includes initiatives, programs, and overseeing and reporting on progress made towards meeting corporate and social responsibility objectives.
The Group Director Sustainability will also be responsible coordinating and reporting on sustainability performance, engaging with company stakeholders such as Finance, to meet all new CSRD reporting requirements, but also Group Supply Chain and other Group Functions. Group Sustainability expertise will need to be maintained to support operational sustainability content in proposals and projects across all Divisions within Damen.
The Sustainability Director will need to stay current on relevant expertise and participate in sustainability work groups and industry networks. Use this expertise to provide practical advice and guidance to the leadership team and our operations.
In addition, the Sustainability Director will be tasked with leading the organization's efforts to reduce its environmental impact and to meet the commitments it has made in relation to carbon, energy and waste reduction. This role will involve working closely with external partners and stakeholders to ensure the organization is meeting its obligations in a timely manner.
The role requires close coordination with internal and external stakeholders in the Sales, Research & Development, Divisions, Design and Proposal, Operations, Supply chain, HR,
Compliance, HSSEQ and Yard organizations. The Group Director Sustainability will report to the Executive Board of the Damen Shipyards Group.
The successful candidate is an experienced leader with a proven record of
accomplishment in Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility. He or she is an
interdependent leader with excellent communication and interpersonal skills and has the ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop, implement, and monitor strategies improving the sustainability of the
- Research and analyze sustainability trends, regulations and best practices
- Lead the engagement and collaboration with key stakeholders to ensure
sustainability initiatives and requirements are met
- Develop and implement sustainability policies, plans and procedures
- Develop and implement sustainability communication plans
- Carry out audits to ensure compliance with sustainability policies
- Monitor and report on sustainability performance
Skills & experience
- Master's degree in sustainability, environmental studies, or related field
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a sustainability-related field
- Knowledge of sustainability principles and practices
- Knowledge of Maritime industry and Damen Shipyards in particular is a pre
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to develop and implement sustainability strategies
- Strong organizational and problem-solving abilities
What we offer
We want to make sure you are succesful in your role, so we will support you to develop yourself in this position. We are a growing organization where innovation is the driving force. Entrepreneurship is in our DNA, and that's why we continue to grow and innovate and offer plenty of opportunities.
We offer you:
- Personal guidance, freedom, varied work and a work environment where your opinion counts;
- An excellent benefits package tailored to your experience and education level;
- A dynamic international working environment focusing on technology and innovation;
- An open, informal, no-nonsense culture with short communication lines;
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events and sports.